One of the most common first signs of aging manifests itself in wrinkles in the forehead area of the face. Unfortunately, many people develop forehead wrinkles at 25.
The cause of these premature wrinkles depend on a variety of factors. Fortunately, there are many ways to prevent and get rid of forehead wrinkles.
Table of Contents
What Causes Forehead Wrinkles?
The main causes of forehead wrinkles are smoking, sun exposure and genetics. Wrinkles are defined as the creases and lines that form in your skin over time. While some can be controlled by lifestyle choices, other factors are merely genetic or a natural extension of the aging process.
As you age, the skin becomes less elastic and more likely to sprout wrinkles. Exposure to ultraviolet radiation also increases the incidences of premature forehead wrinkles. Because of the associated change in blood supply to the skin, smoking also leads to more wrinkles. Lastly, repeated facial expressions and movements such as squinting can leave permanent creases and grooves.
Why Do I Have Forehead Wrinkles at 25?
The overriding risk factor in developing forehead wrinkles at an early age is genetics. Because this factor is something that you cannot control, those who are more susceptible to developing wrinkles early in life should practice better lifestyle choices.
Not wearing sunscreen and smoking are two lifestyle factors that can increase the chance of developing wrinkles at 25. Fortunately, there are more and more treatments available today to combat the external signs of early aging.
How to Get Rid of Forehead Wrinkles at 25 (Treatment Options)
So where you do you start when looking to combat these pesky premature forehead wrinkles?
1. Be Diligent in Your Daily Skincare
Taking care of your skin from an early age will pay off big dividends down the road during the time that wrinkles would normally begin to appear. An effective cleanser will rid the skin of harmful impurities and preserve the natural protective skin barrier. This process will help to promote young and fresh looking skin tone and balance. An effective moisturizing protocol will also trap water in the skin, giving the face the hydration that it needs to stave off wrinkles and fine lines.
2. Daily Exfoliating with an Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA)
As one of the miracle drugs in the fight against skin aging, AHAs work by promoting new cell growth. The most commonly used AHAs to reduce facial wrinkles are glycolic acid and lactic acid. Many exfoliators contain AHAs as the primary active ingredient. By sloughing off dead skin cells, the exfoliation process brightens skin tone and evens out wrinkled skin. When combined with topical vitamins, the efficacy of the AHAs is even higher.
3. Use a Vitamin C Serum
As a powerful anti-oxidant, it is no surprise that topical vitamin C can slow down the skin aging process when strategically and consistently applied to the skin. A vitamin C serum can boost the skin’s ability to produce more collagen. It is this collagen that softens existing wrinkles while simultaneously preventing new lines from forming. By fighting off free radicals, vitamin C can both brighten and tighten the skin.
4. Use Topical Treatments
Much like vitamin C serums, topical treatments such as retinol increase the production of collagen in the skin. This refresh and renewal of skin produces a younger looking tone and more elasticity. It should be noted that the use of retinol to reduce the appearance of wrinkles is not a quick fix. Noticeable results can take up to one year to become apparent.
5. Wear Sunscreen
Few external factors can age your skin faster than repeated exposure to the harmful UV rays of the sun. Making an effort to practice regular use of a broad spectrum sunscreen of at least 30 SPF will ensure that you are protecting your skin. Numerous studies have proven that practicing good sunscreen habits will reduce the rate of photoaging in the skin, thereby lowering the occurrence of forehead wrinkles.
Best Forehead Wrinkle Products
These three products each contain one of the key ingredients proven to be effective in the fight against forehead wrinkles:
1. Paula’s Choice SKIN PERFECTING 8% Gel Exfoliant
- How to use: After cleansing your skin, apply a quarter sized amount of exfoliant to a cotton pad. Gently cover the entire area of your face and let dry. Follow-up with your favorite moisturizer.
- How it works to prevent and get rid of forehead wrinkles: Containing a unique combination of glycolic acid, green tea, and chamomile, this exfoliant is formulated to increase the firmness of the skin while eradicating wrinkles
- What to expect: The eight percent concentration of AHAs delivers much-needed hydration to the skin while working to remove dead cells. Your skin will feel soft, subtle and look radiant and smooth.
2. NuFountain C20+Ferulic Vitamin C Serum
- How to use: After cleansing and exfoliating, apply a pea sized amount to the palm of your hand and gently cover your entire face. Allow to dry, and follow-up with your favorite moisturizer.
- How it works to prevent and get rid of forehead wrinkles: This magic serum contains a 20 percent concentration of topical L-ascorbic acid vitamin c serum combined with ferulic acid and other powerful antioxidants. With daily application, this serum can minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- What to expect: Vitamin c is a great antioxidant on the skin. After a few weeks of application, you can expect a more radiant and smooth skin texture and tone.
- Tip: You can mix this product with your favorite moisturizer.
3. RetrinAL 0.1 Intensive Cream
- How to use: After cleansing, exfoliating and apply a dime sized amount of product and cover your entire face. Allow to dry, and follow-up with your moisturizer.
- How it works to prevent and get rid of forehead wrinkles: This premium cream is engineered to deliver a powerful punch in the fight against forehead wrinkles. The retinaldehyde smoothes wrinkles and leaves a brighter and younger looking complexion in its place. The patented relastide is a pro-elastin peptide designed to firm up the skin and alleviate the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- What to expect: Radiating and brighten complexion, a more firm texture, and a smooth finish. The pre-tocopheryl protects against harmful free radicals with its antioxidant properties. This product should be applied once nightly for maximum results.
If the above OTC options are not giving you the results that you desire, you may want to consider one of these three professional treatments.
1. Chemical Peels
This treatment can improve the appearance of wrinkles by using a chemical solution designed to peel away the dead layers of skin and leave a smoother appearance in its place. The new skin is tighter with fewer wrinkles, making a chemical peel an effective treatment option when looking to reduce forehead wrinkles. In short, superficial chemical peels are fast and easy, allowing you to continue on with your day with little side effects.
Retinoids work by slowing the breakdown of useful collagen in the skin to firm up and tighten the elasticity. By boosting the firmness of the skin, the drug reduces the incidence of wrinkles all over the face. Although retinoid was first introduced as a powerful agent in the fight against acne, its wrinkle-reducing properties were quickly apparent.
Injectable fillers are another solution for premature forehead wrinkles. There are a variety of different ingredients available for filler products with the most common being hyaluronic acid. The procedure relaxes the muscle underneath the wrinkles and fills in lines and creases. Most sessions can be completed in under 30 minutes with results lasting for four months up to one year.
When to See a Dermatologist
If the various OTC treatments are not working for you and if the forehead wrinkles are starting to erode your self-esteem, it may be time to consult with a dermatologist. A professional is equipped with the knowledge and tools to be able to prescribe a course of treatment that will work to erase forehead wrinkles and make you feel better about your appearance.
What is the fastest way to get rid of forehead wrinkles?
Unfortunately, you cannot magically get rid of forehead wrinkles overnight. However, there are many products available over the counter that can help in the long run. The best advice is to accept your forehead wrinkles and begin using anti-wrinkle products. Once you begin a new skincare routine, take pictures of your progress to look back on help see the difference.
Do forehead wrinkle creams actually work?
The effectiveness of forehead wrinkle creams depends largely on the active ingredients and how committed the user is to apply them on a consistent basis. When used as directed, these creams be beneficial if they contain the proven ingredients.
How long does it take to fade forehead wrinkles?
The length of time that it takes to notice visible results varies on the strength of the treatment and how the individual reacts to the protocol. The average amount of time equates to approximately six to twelve months to see a noticeable improvement in the appearance of forehead wrinkles.
How do you get rid of deep forehead wrinkles?
If the wrinkles are less severe, most people will find success with the various OTC treatments on the market today. Additionally, you may need to consult with a professional dermatologist if the wrinkles are more severe. A dermatologist has the ability to prescribe stronger and more effective options.
Forehead Wrinkles at 25: Summary
- Smoking, sun exposure, and genetics cause premature forehead wrinkles
- Over the counter remedies include: daily cleansing, exfoliating (with AHAs) and topical treatments containing vitamin c and retinol
- Professional forehead wrinkle remedies include: chemical peels, retinoids, fillders
- Lastly, see a dermatologist if your premature wrinkles are affecting your self esteem