While nobody has truly found the literal fountain of youth, there are steps that you can take to mitigate the progression of time on your skin. Here is what you need to know about finding the best anti-aging products for acne prone skin.
Table of Contents
What Should You Look for When Selecting Anti-aging Skincare Products?
Because the FDA does not regulate claims of anti-aging effectiveness, it can be challenging to discern what products will be the most adept at slowing down the aging process. Any product can market itself as being an anti-aging treatment even if it does not contain proven ingredients or proper formulations.
To guard yourself against wasting money and time, be sure to stick to trusted brands and products. For the best results, choose treatments by companies that have a strong reputation for instilling formulas backed by scientific results. Jumping on the bandwagon and rushing to try the latest fad may not always deliver the results that you need.
Best ‘Anti-Aging’ Ingredients
When perfecting your skincare routine, be sure to choose products that contain proven ingredients in the fight against skin aging. These are some of the best ingredients to choose for anti-aging and acne prone skin.
- Retinoids – These vitamin A compounds are a proven ingredient to slow down the visible signs of aging in the skin. The topical treatments work by repairing sun-damaged skin and improving the look of fine lines and wrinkles by boosting the production of collagen. Retinoids need to be gradually introduced to the skin to reduce the chance of side effects.
- Vitamin C – This powerful antioxidant protects the skin from free radicals, slowing down the breakdown of cells that lead to wrinkle formation. Vitamin C may help protect skin from sun damage and other harmful pollutants in the air. By boosting the production of collagen, the skin naturally becomes plumper and firmer.
- Hyaluronic Acid – Keep your skin hydrated and soft by adding hyaluronic acid to your skincare routine. This potent moisturizer can hold up to 1,000 times its own weight in water, making it an exceptionally effective way to retain moisture. While hyaluronic acid is found naturally in the body, you can add more to your skin in a topical form to boost skin health.
- Niacinamide – This antioxidant reduces water loss in the skin while also improving elasticity to provide a more supple and firm appearance. Also known as vitamin B3, niacinamide keeps melanin from reaching the surface of the skin. This function assists in the prevention of discoloration such as age spots, improving the overall radiance and youthfulness of the complexion.
- Peptides – Some types of peptide molecules are able to increase collagen production, leading to better skin texture and less wrinkling and sagging.
- Resveratrol – This natural antioxidant compound neutralizes free radicals to protect against aging skin.
Sunscreen Is The Best Anti-Aging Product Available
A great majority of what people regard to be premature skin aging is actually just too much skin exposure. Wearing a sunscreen to prevent tanning is the most important thing that you can do for your skin. In addition to protecting yourself from skin cancer, using sunscreen will also diminish the look of wrinkles and other imperfections. Even in cloudy conditions, a daily sunscreen application should be at the top of your beauty to-do list.
Best Anti-Aging Products for Acne Prone Skin
It is easy to get overwhelmed with all of the options offering you younger-looking skin with so many products on the shelves today. Here are a few of the top treatments to consider in your quest for a healthy and youthful complexion.
1. Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
The gentle cleansing action of this value-driven cleanser makes it a popular choice for people with sensitive skin. The formula does not contain soap and will not irritate the skin. The cleanser is also designed to keep the protective oils of the surface of the skin in place, forming a barrier to keep harmful impurities out. The moisturizing ingredients leave skin feeling silky and smooth without clogging the pores and leading to more breakouts.
2. Paulas Choice–SKIN PERFECTING 2% BHA Liquid
This exfoliant is perfect for unclogging pores and diminishing blackheads. 2% saliyclic acid helps exfoliate away dead skin cells, to help reveal smooth and glowing skin. While AHAs are generally superior for anti-aging, BHAs are better for acne-prone skin. By preventing the build-up of dead skin cells and clogged pores, you will notice less breakouts.
3. Avene RetrinAL 0.1 Intensive Cream
This intensive cream smoothes away wrinkles and boosts the appearance of tired and sagging skin. The retinaldehyde in this cream delivers a potent dose of clinically proven protection from aging. The patented relastide is a pro-elastin that plumps up dull skin while increasing firmness. The vitamin E protects against harmful free radicals, boosting the overall health of the skin. With all of these elements together in one treatment, your skin is sure to look better with each use.
4. Mad Hippie Vitamin C Serum with Konjac Root, Hyaluronic Acid, and Ferulic Acid
Be sure to try this product if you are looking for something more affordable than the Skinceuticals product. With a specially formulated blend of vitamin C, konjac root, hyaluronic acid, and ferulic acid, you will notice the results that you have been looking for. This vitamin C serum reduces blemishes, redness, and scarring. The inclusion of sodium ascorbyl phosphate protects against oxidation of the treatment while the vitamin E reduces the appearance of wrinkles.
5.Paula’s Choice CLINICAL 1% Retinol Treatment
As one of the top defenders of the health of your skin, retinol has many uses. Your skin will thank you for the hydration support of this solution. This treatment boasts a controlled-released delivery system to ensure that the absorption is spread evenly and consistently across the skin. The licorice and oat extract calms redness, helping to deliver a clear and radiant complexion. Together, the ingredients work to produce younger-looking skin by minimizing the visible appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
6. Paula’s Choice Hyaluronic Acid Booster
When you need a little something extra for your skin, be sure to consider this concentrated hyaluronic booster. By replenishing the moisture content in your skin, your complexion will look smoother, plumper, and more revived. The panthenol locks in crucial moisture as it penetrates the surface of the skin to go deep while the ceramides refresh a tired complexion. You can use this product alone or mixed in with your preferred moisturizer.
7. The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution
The Ordinary 10-minute exfoliating facial provides immediate results with a powerful concentration of 30% alpha hydroxy acid (glycolic, lactic, tartaric, and citric acids) partnered with 2% beta hydroxy acid (salicylic acid). The AHAs exfoliate the top layer of skin while the BHA works hard to clear pore congestion. Boost the texture and elasticity of the skin while also fighting blemishes with this multi-use solution. Therefore, making it one of the best anti-aging products for acne prone skin. The Tasmanian pepperberry supports sensitive skin by providing a calming effect to irritation while the black carrot delivers antioxidant benefits.
8. SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic With 15% L-Ascorbic Acid
This patented daytime vitamin C serum combines 15% pure vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid) paired with 1% vitamin E and 0.5% ferulic acid. Together, these potent ingredients go to battle against skin aging. The active ingredients work to provide protection against environmental impurities by neutralizing free radicals, brightening the overall look of the complexion, and boosting firmness. The serum continues to work for at least 72 hours after application, providing long-lasting benefits.
9. Paula’s Choice RESIST Super-Light Wrinkle Defense 30
This treatment delivers a one-two punch, including a daily moisturizing formula that also contains a sunscreen. The purely mineral zinc oxide sunscreen is effective in blocking out the sun’s harmful rays while the resveratrol supports the natural environmental defense function of the skin. The silky finish provides a soft matte appearance. The lightly tinted formula even looks good, providing a nice base for your makeup or as a standalone product. This product by Paula’s Choice should be the last step in your morning skincare routine.
10. EltaMD UV Clear Facial Sunscreen Broad-Spectrum SPF 46
This oil-free formula will not clog pores and exacerbate acne. The calming properties of this sunscreen make it an exceptionally good choice for people with sensitive skin who are prone to issues such as rosacea and discoloration. The premium mineral-based formula makes your skin feel soft and silky while also encouraging healthy-looking skin. With an SPF of 46, you can go outside feeling confident that your skin will not burn and that you are doing your part to prevent premature skin aging.
What Order Should You Use the Products?
- Cleanse – It goes without saying that the first step in your skincare protocol should always be to cleanse the skin. A water-soluble cleanser is a good choice for most skin types. Be sure to use a clean and dry towel so that you do not inadvertently introduce new bacteria to the skin.
- Exfoliate – After the skin is clean and fresh, you can apply an exfoliator. There is a wide array of exfoliating products available, making it easy to select the treatment that is best for your personal needs. Be sure to read the directions carefully. Some exfoliators require daily application while other products require that you use more sparingly.
- Serum – Now is the time in the process to apply your preferred treatment serums. Regardless of if you are looking for a vitamin C serum or a retinol treatment, this is the best time to maximize the efficacy of the product.
- Moisturize – After you have applied your serum or serums of choice, you should follow up this treatment with your favorite moisturizer. This will deliver crucial hydration to the skin while also locking in the healing powers of your serums.
- Sunscreen – It is important that you finish off your morning skincare routine with an application of sunscreen. Be sure to choose a broad-based sunscreen of at least 30 SPF for maximum protection from the harmful rays of the sun.
Summary: Best Anti-Aging Products for Acne Prone Skin
- Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
- Paulas Choice–SKIN PERFECTING 2% BHA Liquid
- SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic With 15% L-Ascorbic Acid
- Mad Hippie Vitamin C Serum
- Paula’s Choice CLINICAL 1% Retinol Treatment
- The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution
- Avene RetrinAL 0.1 Intensive Cream
- Paula’s Choice RESIST Super-Light Wrinkle Defense 30
- EltaMD UV Clear Facial Sunscreen Broad-Spectrum SPF 46
The Bottom Line
There are numerous products for anti-aging for acne prone skin. From exfoliants to serums to moisturizers, you can develop a full arsenal of treatments to help you to go to battle against time and to keep your skin as youthful as possible for as long as possible. As a reminder, sunscreen is the best anti-aging product available. With a little trial and error, you will find the right formulations to protect your skin without making your acne worse.