Combination skin is notoriously one of the more difficult skin types to deal with. That said, the right moisturizer will make a huge positive impact on the look and feel of combination skin. Read on to learn more about this skin type, as well as the best moisturizers for combination skin.
What is Combination Skin, and Why You Need the Right Moisturizer
Combination skin is a skin type where some areas of your face are dry, while others are oily.
- The oilier areas generally exist around the nose and forehead
- Drier areas tend to be around the cheeks and mouth
A routine for this skin type involves treating two very different skin issues, so it is a bit more difficult to take care of.
However, a skincare routine that cleanses and treats the skin to get rid of excess oil without over-drying will help those with combination skin achieve balance.
One of the key steps is choosing one of the right moisturizer for this skin type.
How to Choose the Right Moisturizer
Here are two useful tips to keep in mind when choosing the right moisturizer for your combination skin:
- Stick with Non-Greasy Formulas: Moisturizers that are greasy and thick will only exacerbate skin issues with oilier areas. It is best to stick with lighter formulas.
- Avoid Fragrances: Fragrances in skincare products can irritate the skin, especially for people who have dry areas that are more sensitive.
Types of Moisturizers
Moisturizers come in a variety of different consistencies.
The most common include:
In general, lotions and gels tend to work the best for combination skin.
These formulas have a lighter consistency, and will moisturize without making oilier areas look and feel greasy.
Creams tend to be heavier and too greasy for combination skin.
Best Moisturizers for Combination Skin
Below you’ll find information on the best moisturizers for combination skin.
1. Best Overall: Paula’s Choice Skin Balancing Invisible Finish Moisture Gel
This option has a super light formula that hydrates the skin without making it feel greasy, making it one of the best moisturizers for combination skin. It contains calming niacinamide, hydrating hyaluronic acid, and antioxidants that protect the skin and reduce the visible signs of aging. The formula is also free of fragrances, so it won’t irritate the skin.
2. Best Korean: COSRX Oil-Free Ultra-Moisturizing Lotion with Birch Sap
This oil-free moisturizer contains vitamins and antioxidants that calm, soothe, and hydrate the skin. It has a lightweight consistency, but still effectively hydrates the skin without leaving a greasy residue. This makes it ideal for combination skin.
3. Best Gel: Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel
If you want a gel formula, this oil-free, lightweight moisturizer is the best choice for you. The non-comedogenic moisturizer contains ingredients that are great for hydrating and strengthening the skin’s protective barrier. It also absorbs into the skin quickly, leaving a non-greasy finish.
4. Best with SPF: Paula’s Choice Skin Balancing Ultra-Sheer Daily Defense Broad Spectrum SPF 30
Sun protection is vital for skin health, and this is one of the best moisturizers for combination skin that contains SPF. Many people with oily or combination skin worry about SPF making their skin greasy, but this formula protects without the shine. The lightweight formula leaves a soft matte finish on the skin, keeping shine at bay. It contains antioxidants and skin-restoring ingredients that prevent the appearance of signs of aging while also hydrating the skin.
5. Best Natural: Paula’s Choice Earth Sourced Antioxidant Enriched Natural Moisturizer
Those who prefer more natural ingredients should try this renewing and rejuvenating formula, which contains 98% all-natural ingredients. The lightweight formula contains plant-based ingredients that hydrate while promoting even skin tone and fighting signs of aging. It is also free of irritating fragrances.
6. Best for Body: Eucerin Intensive Repair Lotion
It is just as important to take care of the skin on the rest of your body. This lotion from Eucerin not only moisturizes, but it also includes alpha hydroxy acids, which help to exfoliate the skin. This reveals soft, supple, and even skin. It is free of fragrances, dyes, and parabens, so it won’t irritate the skin.
7. Best for Body in the Winter: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
The cooler winter air can cause combination skin to become drier and more susceptible to irritation. With this in mind, it is important to find a body lotion that adequately moisturizers to keep the skin hydrated. This cream from CeraVe provides 24-hour hydration, helping to restore the skin’s protective barrier. It contains hyaluronic acid and ceramides, which replenish, repair, and hydrate the skin. The formula is free of fragrances and oils, and is hypoallergenic and non-irritating.
8. Bonus Product: Hadalabo Gokujun Hyaluronic Lotion Moist
While this product is not a moisturizer on its own, it is the perfect addition to any of the best moisturizers for combination skin mentioned above. This super lightweight lotion contains hyaluronic acid, which attracts moisture and retains water in the outer layer of the skin. The product can be particularly beneficial for the more dry areas of the skin, but won’t leave a greasy shine on more oily areas. This product may be applied before moisturizer, or mixed with moisturizer.
How to Use a Moisturizer When You Have Combination Skin
Here are a few tips you should keep in mind when using a moisturizer:
- Apply moisturizer day and night, or when needed. A lightweight moisturizer will provide hydration for dry spots while also not making oily spots more oily.
- Keep in mind that combination skin can fluctuate, particularly with the seasons. This may mean that you’ll need to adjust the products you use based on how your skin is feeling during certain seasons.
Other Recommended Products for Combination Skin
Looking to complete your skincare routine? Consider these favorites:
- Face Washes for Combination Skin
- Toners for Combination Skin
- Exfoliators for Combination Skin
- Serums for Combination Skin
- Sunscreens for Combination Skin
How do you choose a moisturizer for combination skin?
Those with combination skin should choose either a gel or lotion formula. These lightweight consistencies are more suitable for combination skin. From there, you should decide if there are any specific features you’d like, such as a natural formula or one with SPF for daytime use. With these things in mind, you’ll be able to find the best moisturizer for combination skin for your specific needs and preferences.
Is hyaluronic acid good for moisturizing combination skin?
Yes, hyaluronic acid is an excellent ingredient to look for in products for combination skin. Hyaluronic acid, which is naturally occurring in the skin, draws moisture in from its surroundings. This helps the skin retain moisture and stay hydrated.
How often should you moisturize combination skin?
In general, it is good to aim for moisturizing your skin twice a day. That said, everyone has different skin with different needs. Assess how your skin reacts to moisturizing twice a day. Therefore determining see if you need to adjust your routine.
Summary: Best Moisturizers for Combination Skin
- Best Overall: Paula’s Choice Skin Balancing Invisible Finish Moisture Gel
- Best Korean: COSRX Oil-Free Ultra-Moisturizing Lotion with Birch Sap
- Gel: Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel
- With SPF: Paula’s Choice Skin Balancing Ultra-Sheer Daily Defense Broad Spectrum SPF 30
- Best Natural: Paula’s Choice Earth Sourced Antioxidant Enriched Natural Moisturizer
- Best Body: Eucerin Intensive Repair Lotion
- Body in the Winter: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
- Bonus Product: Hadalabo Gokujun Hyaluronic Lotion Moist
The Bottom Line
A moisturizer will make a huge difference in the overall appearance and feel of combination skin.
Implement one of the best moisturizers for combination skin into your routine, and you’ll be on your way towards skin that is hydrated but not overly greasy.