Devising the right skincare protocol for oily sensitive skin can be tricky. Especially when you have both oil and sensitive skin.
Read on and discover the best face washes for oily sensitive skin.
Table of Contents
What Causes Oily Sensitive Skin?
Oily skin is caused when your sebaceous glands produce too much oil. Also called sebum, this oil is what leads to the oily appearance of the skin. The excess production of sebum can be caused by a variety of reasons, including:
- Genetics – Overactive sebaceous glands are hereditary. Unfortunately, there is not a lot that you can do to change your genetics. However, you can learn ways to control the oil more effectively so that it does not disrupt the natural function and appearance of your skin.
- Your age – The skin that you have as a teenager will not necessarily be the skin you inherit as an adult. It is not uncommon for skin types to transform as you age. As you grow older, the skin produces less sebum because of the loss of proteins.
- Seasonal factors – Where you live plays a big part in the oil levels of your skin. Hot and humid climates are more likely to produce oily skin. Your skin is more likely to produce excess oil during the hot summer months than during the colder times of the year.
- Stripping your natural oils – Not only can using the wrong products exacerbate the oiliness of the skin but using too much product can also make the situation worse. An excess of washing and exfoliating has the potential of stripping the skin of necessary oil, causing the glands to overreact and produce even more oil.
Sensitive skin is not a health condition. It is merely the natural condition of the skin that makes it more likely to react to harsh chemicals. When skin is easily inflamed by foreign chemicals and ingredients, it can cause internal discomfort or visible signs of sensitivity.
Best Face Washes for Oily Sensitive Skin
Here are the 5 best face washes for oily and sensitive skin.
1. Sebamed Clear Face Cleansing Foam
Sebamed is a popular cleanser for oily sensitive skin, for numerous reasons. First, the antibacterial properties lather up to guard against acne breakouts without causing further irritation. The ultra-hydrating ingredients will moisturize and not dry out the skin, delivering a refreshing clean with each wash. The mild soap is ideal for sensitive skin that might normally react to stronger substances. Those with sensitive and oily skin will appreciate that this Sebamed product is made without harmful alcohol, dyes, or parabens. The inclusion of vitamin B5 assists in the crucial regeneration of dead skin cells.
2. CeraVe Foaming Face Wash
Another cleanser for oily sensitive skin is CeraVe’s Foaming Cleanser. This product is ideal for when you want a deep clean for your face without having to worry about further irritation to the skin. The gentle cleansing action works hard without disrupting the natural protective barrier of the skin. The ceramides, hyaluronic acid, and niacinamide all work together to soothe dry skin and bring necessary hydration to the surface. The unique formula removes dirt and sebum without over-drying the skin. The non-comedogenic product is both fragrance and irritant free.
3. Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser
The non-irritating formula of this face wash will ensure that your skin will be deeply cleaned without fear or reaction. Because of its low-lather properties, the cleanser will not strip the skin of essential hydration and other protective elements. The dermatologist-recommended product is so gentle that you can use it both morning and night to deep clean oil and dirt off of the face while simultaneously unclogging pores. This product should be considered when you want a simple yet effective cleanser for oily sensitive skin.
4. Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Daily Face Wash
This hypoallergenic cleanser works hard without disrupting the natural balance of the skin. This cleanser has proven successful in treating a variety of skin issues, including acne, eczema, and rosacea. Even though it is gentle on the face, it does not leave residue behind. Sensitive skin sufferers will rejoice in finding a cleanser that works without disturbing the surface of the skin. The refreshed feeling that comes with each usage will last for hours.
5. Paula’s Choice RESIST Perfectly Balanced Foaming Cleanser
Paula’s Choice RESIST is one of the best face washes for oily and sensitive skin. Designed to be the first step in your skincare routine, this foaming cleanser is suitable during both the morning and the evening hours. The wash thoroughly cleans the skin, reaching into the deep crevices that many cleansers leave behind. The skin-restoring ingredients bring back hydration to the skin, leaving you with a smooth finish and more even skin tone. Enlarged pores are visibly reduced as excess impurities are removed from the surface of the skin.
Do you have to wash oily skin in the morning and at night?
No, you do not have to wash your skin every morning and night. However, you should wash your skin if it is feeling extra greasy, or to remove product (sunscreen, or makeup). For some, just gently cleansing in AM is a great way to start the day. However, if you also suffer from sensitive skin it can be more tricky. Start off by regularly washing your skin once daily, and see how your skin responds.
Are natural face washes better for oily sensitive skin?
There is no evidence that natural ingredients are more beneficial than their counterparts. Additionally, natural products such as lemons and baking soda can make sensitive skin worse.
Will using a moisturizer make my skin more oily
No, using a properly formulated moisturizer will not make oily skin worse. For best results, look for a lightweight gel based moisturizer. CeraVe PM is a great option for those on a budget.
Summary: 5 Best Face Washes for Oily Sensitive Skin
- Sebamed Clear Face Cleansing Foam
- CeraVe Foaming Face Wash
- Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser
- Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Daily Face Wash
- Paula’s Choice RESIST Perfectly Balanced Foaming Cleanser
The Bottom Line
Oily skin is a result of: genetics, age, seasonable factors, using irritating products and skipping moisturizer. Additionally, sensitive skin is more likely to become irritated from certain ingredients. Therefore, finding the best face washe for oily sensitive skin is key. Any of the above mentioned products are perfectly suitable for this skin combo. With consistent use, you’ll see noticeable results.